News and guides about converting video to flash (FLV/SWF).

Apr 6, 2009

What can grow in a hanging planter?

Q: I would like to have a garden , but my two dogs would trample it when they are outside playing. I want to make salsa this summer so I would like to grow ingredients. Can everything that I want to grow survive in a hanging planter that is hung from my patio? I want to grow tomatoes
, jalapenos, bell peppers, and cilantro. Thanks for your help!

A: You can grow all off the plants you listed in hanging pots. I do it off my patio each summer and call it my salsa garden.

Start by drilling a 3/4" hole in the center of bottom
of the pot. Hang the pot, and insert a Tomato plant upside down into the bottom of the pot. Gently pack dirt around the tomato root, and then fill with a good potting soil. In the center of the pot plant a pepper plant and then a cilantro plant near the edge of the pot.

At first the tomato will grow sideways and try to grow up the side of the pot. As it gets larger, it will start to hang down and get bushy. Early Girl Tomato or Cherry Tomato
work best.

As the Cilantro matures, clip with scissors to slow the Cilantro going to seed. When the Cilantro is mature, plant a seed on the other side of the pot to ensure Cilantro all summer. Repeat on all four sides as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment